Posted on April 21st, 2011 by Paul Stainthorp
Did you know that Google Chrome is available to install on the corporate Windows desktop at the University of Lincoln, as an alternative to Microsoft/Windows Internet Explorer 7? I didn’t, until yesterday, but now I’ve just found out how to install it:
- Go to the Start menu and select the Control Panel;
- Double-click on Add or Remove Programs;
- When the ‘Add or Remove Programs’ window appears, select Add New Programs;
- Scroll down the alphabetical list until you see Google Chrome 10.0. Select it, and click on Add.
Once it’s been installed (which will take a minute), you should be able to find it in the Start menu, under All Programs > Google Chrome. You can create a shortcut by draging the icon to your desktop if you want.
N.B. unfortunately the way Chrome has been deployed means that it “doesn’t support Roaming Profiles properly and instead stores all user data in the Local Settings on the PC. This means bookmarks and other preferences will not follow users if they move between different PCs”.
A version of Mozilla Firefox is also available on the corporate desktop: supplied “as an experimental trial” by ICT services, it uses a VMware ‘thin’/virtual application, so that you don’t have to physically install it on your computer: instead the application is delivered over the network every time you use it.
You can find it at P:\Firefox. The version available here is version 3 of Firefox; I don’t know if there are any plans to upgrade this to the current version. You can create a shortcut by draging the icon from the P: drive to your desktop.
Posted on November 17th, 2010 by Paul Stainthorp
I’m always having to correct misspellings of my surname: ‘Stainthorpe‘, with an “e” on the end, is what most people expect and write. The longer spelling seems to be about twice as common, at least on the web: Google returns ~134,000 results for Stainthorpe -Stainthorp, as opposed to ~63,700 results for Stainthorp -Stainthorpe. (Both spellings originate with the village of Staindrop, County Durham, in case you’re interested.)
(Actually, I don’t even bother to correct people a lot of the time. But it does annoy me when even my daughter’s primary school can’t get it right.)
And as one of my colleagues spotted, even Google has it in for my family name:
Posted on October 13th, 2010 by Paul Stainthorp
I’m about to launch (along with Joss Winn and David Young) into a series of training sessions for University of Lincoln staff, entitled:
Understanding Google Apps
Straightforward online collaborative tools for researchers
90 mins (+ optional 30 min ‘surgery’)
This training workshop will introduce you to some of Google’s collaborative applications that may be useful in your research and teaching. Many of them replicate familiar applications that you already use on your PC, such as word processing, spreadsheets, slide presentations and calendars. All of Google’s applications are used through a web browser and can therefore be accessed from any computer.
In addition, the applications have a number of collaborative features which makes working with others quite easy.
Signing Up: Prior to attending this session, please can you ensure that you have signed up for a Google account. This is simple to do. Click here and complete the form. In the workshop, we will assume that you have a Google account but have little experience with the following collaborative applications:
- Google documents (documents, spreadsheets, presentations, forms and drawings)
- Google calendar
- Google groups
Full details in this Google document!
Posted on August 20th, 2010 by Paul Stainthorp
I’ve just recreated my list of magazines from Google Books for the University’s e-journals site.
Google now hosts 199 digitised magazine titles, and for the sake of 10 minutes’ work every few months it would be a shame to miss out on the extra full-text coverage, which often complements the “library” sources for a title.
E.g. for the frankly un-put-downable Estonian Journal of Archaeology (available as an Open Access (OA) journal from 2006-, and indexed in Art Full Text), Google provides the missing articles from 1997 (vol.1) up to 2006.
I’d like to be able to harvest the Google Books content to build my list using the standard mashlib toolkit (Google spreadsheets; Yahoo! Pipes; some coffee)… but while use of Google’s =ImportHtml() function is limited to 50 per spreadsheet, and because Google search pages block robots.txt files, I can’t figure out a way of doing so.
Instead, I’ve been copying-and-pasting the search results pages into an ordinary Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (thanks, again, Google, for making this possible through your magazine browse page), then using a custom Excel function to ‘unmask’ the URL hidden behind each hyperlinked magazine title.
Finally, I use a bit of text-to-column splitting, search/replace, and filling-in of package-wide fields, to give me a compatible, tab-delimited text file which I then upload to our e-journals knowledge base (which happens to be EBSCO A-to-Z) – I used EBSCO’s custom notes feature to link to Google’s cover image to each entry in the file.