Posted on May 4th, 2012 by Paul Stainthorp
With various new services arising out of the ongoing Library ICT systems review, we’re amassing a nice little collection of library-related 2nd-level subdomains. Here’s a list, which I’ll edit as they become live.
- http://library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (i.e. the ‘bare’ library subdomain: this isn’t used at the moment, but we intend that it will become the Library’s ‘root’ web presence)
- http://www.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (currently used for our SirsiDynix Horizon Information Portal OPAC, which we intend to move to catalogue.library… in order to free up www for our web pages hosted on WordPress)
- http://catalogue.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (the future home of the library catalogue)
- http://catalog.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (an alternative/US spelling of catalogue)
- http://findit.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (a launch point for our new Discovery system, still to be announced,
and with a name yet to be decided!)
- http://lists.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (Talis Aspire reading lists, currently being developed)
- http://archives.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (Axiell Calm archives and special collections software)
- http://jerome.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (Jerome is our innovation platform and a home for experimental search services, being re-developed as part of the CLOCK project)
- http://auth.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (OpenAthens LA v2.1 authentication software)
- http://proxy.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (EZProxy authentication software)
- http://guides.library.lincoln.ac.uk/ (LibGuides software)
We also have two core systems which aren’t on the library subdomain:
- http://eprints.lincoln.ac.uk/ (the Lincoln Repository on EPrints – it’s appropriate that this isn’t on library, as we’ve always managed the Repository as a shared/collaborative project between CERD, ICT services, the Library, and the Research Office)
- http://ill.lincoln.ac.uk/ (CLIO inter-library loans software)
Posted on July 28th, 2011 by Paul Stainthorp
The University of Lincoln has… rather a lot of web subdomains. Some might say too many. Our JISC funded Linking You project touched on this problem (assuming it is a problem), and then slowly—and wisely—backed away.
All of the following can by found using a Google domain search – each of these can be suffixed by “lincoln.ac.uk” to form a real domain name:
Disclaimer: I’ve no idea how many of these are current, official, or meaningful. However, here’s a humble proposal: if you want a new subdomain under *.lincoln.ac.uk, you have to have it tattooed on your arm first.
- blogs.lincoln.ac.uk (and any number of blog sub-subdomains)
- online.lincoln.ac.uk (and several sub-subdomains including cwd.online.lincoln.ac.uk, openatrium.online.lincoln.ac.uk, and nucleus.online.lincoln.ac.uk)
- www.lincoln.ac.uk (our main corporate website)
And I’ve not even got started on our own dirt – the University Library’s own little handful of subdomains.
Firstly, what the Library hasn’t got. There’s nothing to see at:
(i.e. we’ve nothing at the ‘root’ Library subdomain. A couple of people have spotted this slight illogicality.)
Now what we have got, or have had in the recent past:
…this points at our SirsiDynix HiP 3.08 library catalogue. Really, if anything, this ought to represent the overall web presence of the Library, with HiP relegated to something like catalogue.library.lincoln.ac.uk
…the Jerome project.
…which is defunct and redirects to the main blogs site.
…a moribund, older installation of our EPrints Repository used for the 2008 RAE.