No school today, and the now-traditional Twitter winter games are being pursued, with British enthusiasm for discussing the weather undimmed by the transfer of medium. (Currently #uksnow LN9 6/10, by the way).
Special commendation to The Lincolnite (@thelincolnite) for doing a proper number on the various disruptions and cancellations. Great use of user-generated content, too. Frankly, they’ve put a number of more established media outlets in the shade. Only @BBCLincolnshire have been half as much use or as entertaining.
And on the subject of Twitter accounts: does anyone know why the University of Lincoln has sprouted so many? Some are “official”, others “unofficial” (heavy scare quotes – I don’t think ‘official’ really means anything on Twitter in the same way that it even does on Facebook – on Twitter, you’re only as reputable as your followers deem you to be). Others are very specialist (e.g. our Repository‘s Twitter feed), belong to the Students’ Union or to individual student societies (and are therefore editorially independent of the University), or are joke accounts.
But it does seem a lot for one modestly-sized university. Is this just the natural ecology of the thing – that accounts will proliferate and go extinct as needs and interests wax and wane? Or is it possible we’ve all got a bit carried away…? (Declaration of interest: I’m responsible for at least one of these.)
- Uni. of Lincoln (@unilincoln)
- Uni of Lincoln (@ULopendays)
- Uni of Lincoln Comms (@WhatsOnLincoln)
- UL Press Office (@lincolnlatest)
- UL Update (@ulupdate)
- Lincoln ISC [International Study Centre] (@lincolnisc) - edit: added 1 December 2010 @ 20:09; thanks, @jamesdoc
- Riseholme College (@riseholmecolleg)
- Uni of Lincoln Blogs (@ulblogs)
- Lincoln Repository (@eprintslincoln)
- Lincoln Media (@LincolnMedia)
- Lisma Lumni [LSM alumni] (@LSMAlumni) – edit: added 1 December 2010 @ 20:09; thanks, @jamesdoc
- Audio Production (@AudioProd_LSM) – edit: added 2 December 2010 @ 20:09; thanks, @AudioProd_LSM
- LSJ [Lincoln School of Journalism] News (@LSJTweets)
- [Lincoln Performing Arts Centre] (@lincolnLPAC)
- UL Computing Society (@ulcomputing)
- ULO [University of Lincoln Orchestra] (@ulorchestra)
- Lincoln CU [Christian Union] (@ulcu)
- Lincoln Sci-Fi [Society] (@lincolnscifi)
- The Drama Society (@thedramasociety)
- Lincoln SU [Students' Union] (@lincolnSU)
- Bullet Magazine (@BulletMagazine)
- The Linc (@thelinc)
- Marie (@mht_marie), Jane (@mab_jane), and Sheila (@mab_sheila) …the voices of the lifts in two of our campus buildings. Yeah.
Any more for any more?